3-D Printing at the library
- All users are required to attend an orientation session prior to using the 3-D printer and attached laptop.
- Sign up for 1/2 session:
- Tuesday or Thursday: 2-2:30 pm; 2:30-3 pm
- Wednesday: 11:30 – noon or
- Thursday evening at 6-6:30 pm; 6:30-7 pm.
- Users under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- To use our Makerfront i3PRO 3-D printer, you will need a valid library card from RCS Community Library or another library in the Upper Hudson Library System.
- Users may reserve the Makerfront i3PRO 3-D printer to
use on Tuesday or Thursday
from 3 – 4:30pm.
- There is no charge for using the Makerfront
- Users pay 15 cents per gram for the PLA filament used by the Makerfront.
The library’s 3D printer is available for educational, workshop, and programming purposes to make three-dimensional objects in plastic using a design that is downloaded from the Thingiverse website or a .STL file generated by design software.
3D design software you may use to create/design your own models:
*NOTE: Staff can help you sign up to use the printer but can offer no design assistance.
Other Helpful Links:
Cost of printing:
- The cost of printing is 15¢ per gram of PLA plastic.
- Users will not be charged in cases of mechanical failure, objects failing to fully print, errors in the print process, or other factors not in a customer’s control.
- Refunds will not be given if an object does not print correctly due to design errors. Patrons may not demand a new print in place of the original due to dissatisfaction with color, scale, quality, design, required support material, or other options pre-selected by the customer.
What is available:
- Makerfront i3PRO 3-D printer connected to a laptop computer.
- Supports PLA build material
- Designs must be in .stl format
- Colors: Black. More colors pending.
- Staff can assist you in setting appointments for orientation and appointments to use the printer.
- They are not trained in designing 3-D objects or troubleshooting print errors.
Who can print:
- The 3D printer is available for use by all RCS Community Library card holders.
- Users must have taken the 1/2 printer certification course prior to signing up for 3-D printer time.
- Patrons younger than 16 must must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Printing is available on a first come, first served basis. In times of high demand, the library reserves the right to limit printing.
- Priority will be given to library programs or activities.
- Only designated Library staff or trained volunteers should adjust the software settings.
- RCS Community Library supports the intellectual freedom principles espoused in the Library Bill of Rights and the ALA Code of Ethics.
- The library’s 3D printers may be used only for lawful purposes. Users will not be permitted to use the library’s 3D printers to create material that is:
- Prohibited by local, state or federal law.
- In violation of another’s intellectual property rights. For example, the printers will not be used to reproduce material that is subject to copyright, patent or trademark protection.
- The library reserves the right to refuse any 3D print request.
- Supervision of the use of the 3D printer by library staff does not constitute knowledge, or acknowledgement, of any potential final use of the 3D product, and the Library specifically disclaims any knowledge thereof.
- 3D printed objects may have small bumps, holes, and/or rough edges. These can be cleaned up using fine sand paper.
- Objects are printed from the bottom up. If a design has a large overhang or suspended parts, support material and/or rafts may be used. These additions are easily removed by the patron. The Library will not be responsible for removing any supports and/or rafts.
Are you interested in learning more? Sharing your knowledge with others? Seeing what others are doing with these tools? Let us know!
Guidelines and procedures for digital equipment are subject to change.
For more information, or to register for an orientation session, call 756-2053 OR email us at email@example.com
95 Main Street • Ravena • NY • 12143 • (518) 756-2053
last updated on Wednesday, March 09, 2016